2 Medium of Instructions in Pakistani Education System
Medium of Instruction in Pakistani Education System
Medium of instruction in the education system is basically a use of language in which people get educated. In education sector, government divided the medium into two parts. In the government schools, they teach in Urdu medium where every subject is taught in Urdu either it is mathematics or a science. They translate the whole course and then teach it to their students. Mostly in these school people of the middle or lower class enrolled their child to get an education. These schools do not charge fees to students.
Now government takes a step forward and they improve their education system and government schools also has an option for English medium study. But, teachers teach in Urdu and students are not bound to speak English while they are in the classroom. In government schools subjects like Islamiyat teaches in Urdu while the science subjects are in English.
So, they are teaching in mix medium in Pakistani Education system. It is quite right because it is important to connect a child to his/her roots and mother language. Ratio of Urdu medium schools of government level is 65%, while English medium is 10%.
Role of Urdu and English in our Education system
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, and people of Pakistan are fluent in their own language. It uses as locally in different area of the country. But, the use of English is an official language. It has a widely used in written and spoken communication in different contexts in Pakistan.
On the other hand, the private sector is offering proper English medium education. But, they charge high fees for it. The educator teaches every subject in English and they also communicate in English. While students in the classroom, do not allow to speak in another language. They enhance the abilities of an individual and polish their skills. They made a student to speak English confidently even in public.
There is a long list of other Pakistani regional languages, use as languages of instruction but, on a small scale. Now, as long as the medium of instruction in Pakistan is concerned, constitutionally it`s Urdu. But, officially English and Urdu both languages are using side by side in our education system. If you only know English and not able to speak Urdu you may survive in Pakistan, but cannot afford to survive other countries.
Importance of Both MOI’s
Consequently, English medium is teaching almost all across the state and nation. This makes it a universal language. Urdu on the other hand has less chances of being used at international level and getting more success than the people learning English Medium. For a successful nation or state English should be kept as an important medium of instruction to be learnt. It can recognize the learners at international level, which is a good point for our nation.
Urdu speaking people, mostly consider as illiterate as and less educated than the English one’s. In English Medium of instruction, students get the opportunities to take part in extracurricular activities (sports like swimming, horse riding, table tennis etc.) which boost up their morals. On the other hand Urdu medium school doesn’t have such resources and facilities. This kind of medium of instruction has qualified teachers and trained. But in Urdu medium, the teachers are usually not well educated.
Pros and Cons of English Medium:
- Use of English in education and the job market is beneficial for a high social economic status because the students have the resources to acquire it, but negative for low social economic status students in developing countries as they don’t have the appropriate resources.
- English may act as a source of failure affecting, student’s progress and understanding concepts in learning science and other subjects especially for students of low social economic status.
- English is very often the language using in many software programs and for those who are technologically ambitious. The study of English can provide them with useful benefits and knowledge.
- Through the study of English, a range of advantages are available. Quality courses offer candidates the opportunity to improve job prospects, the capacity to communicate with others and access to information right across the world.
- Undoubtedly, the greatest benefit of studying English is that your career prospects and employment opportunities can vastly increase. It is also very helpful in academic progress.
- English medium studies also enhance the student sense of achievement, promotes competence, develop basic skills, creative thinking and confidence.
Pros and Cons of Urdu Medium:
- In essence, the most beneficial positive point to learn in mother tongue is student are avoiding delays in learning. As children learn better and faster in a language they can understand and they tend to show increased self-esteem.
- By learning Urdu, The education should be uniform across the country so that the poor children do not face discrimination.
- Also, learners take pride in their identity and heritage when they attain knowledge in their mother tongue. Parent’s participation also increased as they know native language very well.
- Learning Urdu may boost a pupil’s career, if they want to work in or with the lands of Northern India, Pakistan, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, South Africa and many other places. Knowledge of this language will indeed help them to find jobs and to expand their social networks.
- Urdu speaking people do not have to learn the national language. The reason is that, an addition to the local provincial language that the locals commonly speak in their daily norm i.e. Sindhi, Pashto, Balochi and Saraiki etc.
The pith and marrow of the entire discussion is that, the world becomes advance now and English is using as an international language. It is the official language of 53 countries and approximately 400 million people speak English around the world. Howbeit, it is our need to teach our new generation English and offer them those opportunities which helps them to get success in this world. English medium has a higher edge than their counterparts due to many factors.
As people now a day’s, highly prefer English medium. Because it gives students knowledge about different cultures and nations which are beneficial for them in their future endurance’s. Also, they focus on intensive mind exercises which carry out in English medium schools. It can cause multiple creative ideas too in the student’s mind. Urdu is our mother language and we have to support it and highlight it, but it needs so much hard work which helps it to take place in the world at international level.
Mother tongue based multilingual education can take many forms. Each school and each community should determine what works best for them. If the medium of instruction (Urdu) is same as our mother language, there are more chances for the child to fit in properly and continue with education. Therefore, the longer a child is able to learn in and through his or her mother tongue, the greater the educational benefits that can be expected.
You might also like
More from Education
10 Keys to Success |Qualities for Highly Successful People Everyone has different perspective about attaining success in life. What is the …
4 Major Language Difficulties for Malaysian Expatriates What is Language Language has always been an important tool of communication, although everyone communicates …